Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ingredient Spotlight - Baking Soda

So I decided that I want to spotlight some of the ingredients that I use.  If you didn't know, I'm a bit of a natural health nutcase freak.  Whatever you want to call it, I like using things that may or may not be better for my health, and the health of my family.  I also like supporting American made products.  So for my first ingredient spotlight I chose to talk about baking soda, since I just posted the soda bread recipe.  I bet you didn't know that were "better" forms of baking soda.  Well, I think there is.  The baking soda I've been using come from Bob's Red Mill.  I'm sure you've seen their products in the store.  The difference with their baking soda is that it is aluminum free.  I've been trying to avoid aluminum in all area's that I can because I've read studies that have shown high amounts of aluminum in cancerous breast tissue and in the brains of Alzheimer's patients, among other things.  I also like to use this baking soda because part of me really just likes using an alternative to the usual stuff you can get.  I've always sort of been that way.   On the packaging it states:  "Our Baking Soda is made from the deposits of mineralized sodium bicarbonate.  It is extracted by an all-natural process that uses no chemicals.  When used in combination with acidic ingredients, such as buttermilk or molasses, it releases carbon dioxide that causes the batter or dough to rise.  It's also a great household cleanser and odor absorber."   Apparently, there is aluminum in Arm & Hammer baking soda - I don't have a box to look at or the time to research it right now, but I like my Bob's Red Mill baking soda - so I'm sticking with it.  It's really pretty baking soda too.  I compared it to some regular Arm & Hammer baking soda, and it's really sparkly!  :) 

In case you're interested, here's a link to the the Bob's Red Mill website:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/baking-soda.html

1 comment:

  1. Hey good point about the baking soda! I just realized that we have been using Arm and Hammer for Colby in the bath to help his itchy skin and now I am switching to Red's!! I can't believe I spaced that one out. I don't like to cook with Arm and Hammer either.

    Jenn Smith

    ReplyDelete